About Me

My photo
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Well it just does not pay to complain because frankly, NO ONE CARES! I was raised in New York, and made the biggest mistake of my life in 1990 by moving to Indiana. Well, That's enough about me at this time.

My Family

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Collage Classes

Busy, Busy, Busy. I never thought at this age that I would be up to my neck in school work. I am helping a friend get an associate degree in Logistics/Supply Chain Management. That's quite a mouthful. Much of this degree has been done by "distance learning". I am not at all impressed with its execution at Ivy Tech. My friend is taking four classes this semester, all over the Internet. I'm sorry but this is not the way to learn. I might be able to accept the class if it had a set meeting time online using a video conferencing / video chat facility where at least you could interact with the "professor". The way the classes are currently constituted, the teacher posts a syllabus at the beginning of the semester, class assignments, discussion boards, and tests are listed along with the method of posting desired. The student does the work and posts the material in the proper place. At some point the teacher reviews the work and leaves comments. But there is no real interaction, no real give and take student to student, or student to teacher. This method might be OK for large freshmen survey classes, but it should just not be allowed for core courses.

No comments: